Misophonia

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Misophonia

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:05 pm

• misophonia •

Pronunciation: mi-sê-fon-i-ê • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: Selective sound sensitivity syndrome, intolerance of certain sounds, less impactful than phonophobia "fear of sounds".

Notes: Although introduced by two audiologists (see Word History), this word hasn't settled in the medical jargon. In fact, the definition (see above) hasn't become widely accepted. When it is, we can expect that the adjective will be misophonic and/or misophonical, and the adverb will be misophonically.

In Play: The definition of this word suggests it is a severe annoyance rather than a medical condition: "Let's not invite Janine to dinner; she suffers from misophonia for the normal sounds of people eating." Since it has not firmly established itself in the medical vocabulary, we are free to use it in everyday English: "The sound of most politicians' voices elicits severe misophonia in many people."

Word History: Today's Good Word was introduced by the Polish-born American audiologists Pawel J. Jastreboff and Margaret M. Jastreboff in "Hyperacusis", an article in Audiology Online, June 18, 2001. The Jastreboffs combined the forms mis(o)- "hatred" + -phonia "sound". Mis(o)- was borrowed from Greek misos "hatred", from PIE meis- "to change", which made its way down to English through its Germanic ancestors as mis- "bad, wrong" as in mistake, mistrust, misdeed and to German as miss- "bad, wrong" (misshandeln "mistreat"). Phone was taken from Greek phone "sound, voice" from a suffixed form of PIE bha- "to speak, say, tell", which also went into the making of English ban, which originally meant "proclamation, declaration". In Latin it emerged as fari "to speak, tell", out of which fama "fame" and fabula "tale, story" emerged. You can easily see how English adopted and adapted these two words. (Now an e-bow and word of thanks to Debbie Moggio for alertly picking up on this newest Good Word and suggesting we investigate it.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Misophonia

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:14 pm

Good one, Deb. Certain sounds drive me insane, so I identify well.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Postby bbeeton » Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:45 pm

My immediate reaction after reading the description was to interpret this as "annoyance at the sound of noodles being slurped".

I guess I've just been eating out at too many ramen joints lately.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:50 pm

Ah, ramen noodles, the dietic mainstay of the starving artist.

The salient misophonia in my life is the sound of a drummer playing the traps. This especially grated on my ears when I heard it in a church orchestra. I was so deeply disturbed that I got up out of the choir, walked into the orchestra, hurled profane invectives at the drummer, and summarily exited. It was during practice and there was no congregation present. Apparently, my opinion was shared since the only reprimand I got was from my dear wife.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

bnjtokyo
Lexiterian

Postby bnjtokyo » Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:52 pm

When my mother visited me in Japan, she found the sound of slurping ramen and soba and udon rude too. But when in Rome . . . How else are your friends to know you are enjoying your meal? How else are you going to get the other end of the long long noodles up from dish to your mouth with hashi (aka chop sticks)?

Return to “Good Word Discussion”