Have you ever seen this construction?

You have words - now what do you do with them?
brogine
Lexiterian

Have you ever seen this construction?

Postby brogine » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:44 am

Have you ever seen this construction? Just came across this in a novel by Christopher Brookmyre, a Scot: “ . . . at how many people end up needing rescued . . . . “
I’ve only heard this from people from Pittsburgh (“My hair needs washed,” e.g.) and I’ve always thought it was a local idiosyncrasy.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Have you ever seen this construction?

Postby Slava » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:07 am

I can't quote any specifics, but, yes, I believe I have come across it in my literary meanderings.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:56 am

Here's another one, found on IMDb: "... they soon realize that that everything is not as it seems." That would be really, really hard to survive. Not the double-that, but having everythingbeing wrong. I expect it should be thought of as "not everything is as it seems".
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

brogine
Lexiterian

Postby brogine » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:43 pm

Maybe it’s some super-sized nihilism. (If that’s what I mean.) Nothing is real.
You seem (if you will) to be among very few here interested in anything but etymology. Yet no one has accepted the brogine challenge:
Can you find the route from the erudite quill of Washington Irving to "Don't get your knickers in a twist"?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:33 pm

Afraid I know next to nothing of Irving, but for those interested in the phrase, check here.

brogine
Lexiterian

Postby brogine » Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:26 pm

Well, that’s a good history of the phrase, but it stops at ‘knickerbockers’ qua ‘panties’. There are a few steps leading up to that.

Another tortuous history I’ve mentioned is ‘tabby’ for ‘cat’.

I do repeat myself, but ideas of this quality are not so common.
And by ‘quality’ I refer to their nature. No inference should be made as to my assessment regarding merit.

Edit: My bad! (But who’s counting?) ‘Tortuous’ is not really the right word. It’s a long, but not particularly winding, road.

Return to “Grammar”