GoodWord suggestion

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:48 pm

and here I thought the harbor was mimed. silly me.

mark chimps-are-strange Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

ClaireM
Junior Lexiterian

tyke

Postby ClaireM » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:10 pm

To continue the discussion regarding tyke:
I have just looked at the little flurry of responses to my message about tyke/urchin etc. There was some misunderstanding, because I made reference to the word 'dyke' - an adult female of dubious sexual preference, and it is these people who go to the bars. Did I miss some even more abstruse references in the ensuing correspondence concerning minors / miners ?
To recap:
tyke - small scruffy male, not normally allowed in bars without adult supervision because he is a minor i.e. under 18;
dyke - see above, usually over 18 because such strong preferences do not usually manifest themselves until full adulthood (!);
minor - someone under legal age for a particular activity;
miner - a person who either (a) digs in the ground to extract minerals/coal/diamonds/gold, etc, etc or
(b) [now archaic in reference to a person - more often mine-setter or mine-layer now] someone who lays explosives of a particular type known as mines in the path of enemy transport.
There were plenty of land-mines dropped by the Germans on Liverpool and Liverpool Bay during WW2. Just occasionally one gets unearthed on a building site and the Army's Bomb Disposal Unit has to come and deal with it.

Right! Next ..............?

ClaireM.

ClaireM
Junior Lexiterian

tyke

Postby ClaireM » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:12 pm

Who was/is Edwin P. Whipple? That's a cute quote.
ClaireM.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:15 pm

Hey, ClaireM, they're just riffin' with you, tangent-ifying with puns wrung from your comments. For best results, keep posting and riff back.

-gailr

btw: All opinions are pretty well tolerated here, which is part of the appeal. At the same time, you never know who might be on the other side of the pixels. The daughter of an old and dear friend (and a fine person who I am pleased to call a friend in her own right) was hand-fasted this summer. She doesn't think of herself or her partner as "dubious" and none of their friends or family do, either. They don't spend much time in bars as both have responsible professions. No insult intended, none taken. Just an fyi.

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:19 pm

The daughter of an old and dear friend (and a fine person who I am pleased to call a friend in her own right) was hand-fasted this summer...
Bizarre- I just had the word handfasting randomly twirling round my tiny little mind this morning... :shock:
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: tyke

Postby Bailey » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:46 pm

Who was/is Edwin P. Whipple? That's a cute quote.
ClaireM.
I have no idea, I just liked the quote, perhaps he is the Whipple of the Charmin? The non-squeezable sort, oc.

mark sorry-for-the-jump-shift Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:13 am

A very short entry on Edwin Percy Whipple at Wikipedia.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”