GoodWord suggestion

Use this forum to suggest Good Words for Professor Beard.
xBCoon
Junior Lexiterian

GoodWord suggestion

Postby xBCoon » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:59 pm

I would like to request that "tyke" be considered for the daily Good Word. I got the impression somewhere along the line, that Dr. Beard has grandchildren of which he is quite fond; having just welcomed granddaughter number four and grandson number one into our family this year, I have been interested in all things diminutive! Thank-you. Barbara Coon

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:49 am

somewhere in the dim reaches of my mind it seems we had tyke. I could be wrong, still my long-term remember works better than the short one. I checked- Nope apparenty not, carry on.

Also, in future it is easier to reference a certain thread if you name it the word you are suggesting.

mark 20-20-hindsight Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:00 pm

Welcome, Barbara!

Urchin is a synonym that could also be an interesting WOtD. Much employed by one of my idols, the late Walt Kelley.
Stop! Murder us not, tonsured rumpots! Knife no one, fink!

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:41 am

Welcome, Barbara!

Urchin is a synonym that could also be an interesting WOtD. Much employed by one of my idols, the late Walt Kelley.
"Friday the 13th is on Thursday this month." :wink:
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:19 am

Ah, yeah, about that, it was ill-considered, I should have started with Welcome Barbara also. er, uh sorry.
Well you know chimps are rude.

mark :oops: Bailey

kb

ClaireM
Junior Lexiterian

Tyke

Postby ClaireM » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:57 am

In English the word "tyke" has a regional distribution. Up here in the northwest it means a naughty pesky small boy, an urchin, a ragamuffin, usually to be found at the site of any unusual activity, crime, drama, where there is a large hole in the road, where an accident has occurred, where a crowd has gathered. The phrase "the little tyke!" is useful when one's son has broken next door's window! Nowadays, this word is falling out of use because of its similarity of sound to "dyke" which is a term of opprobrium referring to the more masculine of the two forms of female homosexuality. My city boasts at least two bars at which such persons congregate !
ClaireM

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:48 am

Welcome, Barbara!

I knew I suggested that word long ago. Alas, it was so long ago that it was at That Site That Shall Not Be Named. :wink:

So, Sluggo, gopher it!
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:41 pm

Aha, shall not be named but shall be linked! :twisted:
Must of been interesting, this shady past. And so the mystery of the forbidden fruit at last spits its seedy sentience. At last I can sleep. [/facetiousness]

Welcome, Claire! Please to ignore the side messages; we're not sure what they mean either. But the background on your local views of tykeliness, urchintude and ragamuffinity is elucidating and appreciated. Do keep it coming.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:53 pm

Welcome, Claire! Post early, post often.

Please to ignore the side messages; we're not sure what they mean either.
Ignernce be bliss, mate.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:09 am

Oh, yeah, ClaireM (and Cacasenno, and other newcomers, too); in case you haven't noticed, there are almost as many puns here as in Callahan's Crosstime Saloon. The clientele here are just as strange, if not stranger. This is a strange land sometimes. :wink:
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Tyke

Postby Perry » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:33 pm

In English the word "tyke" has a regional distribution. Up here in the northwest it means a naughty pesky small boy, an urchin, a ragamuffin, usually to be found at the site of any unusual activity, crime, drama, where there is a large hole in the road, where an accident has occurred, where a crowd has gathered. The phrase "the little tyke!" is useful when one's son has broken next door's window! Nowadays, this word is falling out of use because of its similarity of sound to "dyke" which is a term of opprobrium referring to the more masculine of the two forms of female homosexuality. My city boasts at least two bars at which such persons congregate !
ClaireM
Your city has pubs that serve minors, or do I misconstrue?
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:44 am

Now that's worth a webcam. :twisted:
Perry -tagline separation anxiety?

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:59 am

... My city boasts at least two bars at which such persons congregate !
ClaireM
Strange. Wikipedia doesn't show mining as part of the economy of Liverpool. I wouldn't think the harbor has been mined since the end of WWII, and I doubt land mines were ever used there.

Pay no attention to us, ClaireM. :)
Regards//Larry

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:57 am

sluggo wrote:
Please to ignore the side messages; we're not sure what they mean either.
Ah, Claire I see you've been nicely set up and pot shotted. Welcome to the madhouse, Oh you think I jest? *maniacal laughter is heard* Little does she know.

mark welcome-to-my-breakdown Bailey

kb

sluggo
Grand Panjandrum

Postby sluggo » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:03 pm

I wouldn't think the harbor has been mined since the end of WWII...
-- unlike Claire's final sentence, mined by now to its last Sliverpuddle...have Mersey! :P
...Nowadays, this word is falling out of use because of its similarity of sound to "dyke" which is a term of opprobrium referring to the more masculine of the two forms of female homosexuality. My city boasts at least two bars at which such persons congregate !
Liverpool has after all been described as the San Francisco of the UK ...

Return to “Good Word Suggestions”