GORGEOUS FROM REGURGITATION

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

GORGEOUS FROM REGURGITATION

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:09 pm

• gorgeous •

Pronunciation: gor-jês • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: Breath-takingly beautiful.

Notes: Although this word oddly contains both a hard G, pronounced [g], and a soft one, pronounced [j], they follow the English rule perfectly. In words borrowed from Latin or the Romance languages, G is soft before vowels pronounced in the front of the mouth (I and E) and hard before vowels pronounced in the back of the mouth (A, U, O), just as we see here. The adverb for this adjective is gorgeously and the most common noun gorgeousness, though a quick sweep of the Internet shows that I am not the only one to wonder about gorgeosity.

In Play: Ithaca, New York, is known to promote itself as a city of gorgeous gorges, using two words that, we will see further down, are related to each other. Of course, Grand Canyon has the better claim to the title of the most gorgeous gorge in the United States. This word mixes well with metaphors like, "Matilda, you have such an absolutely gorgeous nose when you keep it in your own business."

Word History: Middle English borrowed the word from Old French gorgias "finely dressed, fashionable". Here we have to make a little hop and assume that the French word originally referred to a necklace or simply a phrase "dressed to the neck". Old French gorge meant "bosom, throat," so the assumption that it once meant "something adorning the throat" is not far-fetched. Next, we must assume that Latin gurges, gurgitis "whirlpool, gorge" took on a figurative sense of "swallow" and/or "throat" in Late Latin. This would explain the French meanings of gorge "throat, breast, gorge". The fact that the possessive form of gurges, gurgitis, appears in regurgitation, a sort of reverse swallowing, supports this hypothesis. (We owe a note of gratitude to Katy Brezger for suggesting an amazing Good Word that stretches from gorgeous to regurgitation.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:39 pm

I'm reminded of school days and silly rhymes here:

Regurgitate, regurgitate!
Give back all the food you ate!

We do need to be sensitive here a bit, I suppose. Anorexics and bulimics tend to regurgitate a lot, often trying to be gorgeous by being thin.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:34 pm

I just met a new word, and it fits in to this thread.

Gorget, in the usage I came across, refers to a kind of badge of office worn at or over the throat. And since the reference to gorgets comes from the 13th century in what became the US, the dictionary definition may need to be updated, as it says they're from the 17th-18th centuries.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:27 pm

Great article, Slava. Thanks!
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Return to “Good Word Discussion”