Polyglot

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Polyglot

Postby Slava » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:21 pm

As the Dr. intimated, he might miss making a post of the GWotD. Here's one:
• polyglot •

Pronunciation: pah-li-glaht

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: A person who speaks more than one language, a multilingual.

Notes: One of the most common responses to being introduced as a linguist is, "And how many languages do you speak?" A linguist is someone who studies language scientifically, something a monolingual person can do. A polyglot could know nothing scientific about language and still speak several languages. If you need an adjective, feel free to use this word as is: there are polyglot nations, like Russia, and polyglot editions of the Bible.

In Play: First and foremost this word refers to someone who is multilingual: "Herschel Swartz is a polyglot who can talk his way out of paying a bill in seven different European languages." It can, however, refer to people in a broader, more indirect sense, "The restaurant had such a polyglot kitchen it was a wonder the dishes that came out of it were edible."

Word History: Today's word is another borrowed, via Latin and French polyglotte, from Greek polyglottos, made up of poly "many" + glotta "tongue, language" plus a suffix. Greek is among those languages whose word for "language" originally meant "tongue," e.g. French langue, Russian jazyk, and Spanish lengua. English is even the mother tongue of some of us. Greek also had a variant of glotta, glossa, with the same meaning, so our words gloss and glossary are also cousins.

Dr. Goodword, alphaDictionary.com
Here's a posting of the same word from a few years back: http://www.alphadictionary.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=895

You'll need to brush up on your Greek for parts of the commentary.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:50 pm

Mightn't we also call people who speak two languages, but no more, bi-glots?

This is how I often pronounce the name of the box store Big Lots!.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:16 pm

It's a good thing that I speak threeish languages. I would not want to be oe of those bigots.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:27 pm

It's a good thing that I speak threeish languages. I would not want to be oe of those bigots.
Does this make you a tri-glotite, an odd form of cave dweller?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:59 pm

It's a good thing that I speak threeish languages.
Three-ish? :?

Return to “Good Word Discussion”