Poseur

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Poseur

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:40 pm

• poseur •

Pronunciation: po-zêr Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: A person who pretends to be what he or she is not.

Notes: A charlatan or con artist pretends to be someone he or she is not in order to deceive. A poseur usually pretends to be someone better than he or she is in order to impress. Notice that, as opposed to the pronunciation of poser, someone who simply assumes a pose, the accent on today's word always falls on the final syllable. If you and your coconversationalists are good at French, you may pronounce the vowel in this syllable [œr] (the [e] of bet but with the lips rounded as if pronouncing O or U). We recommend against using the French feminine of this word, poseuse, no matter how good your French is.

In Play: Wherever you find pretense, you will find at least one poseur: "Mary Annette spoke of wine less as a connoisseur than as a poseur repeating phrases from a sommelier at a French restaurant." The good ones are difficult to spot: "It crossed my mind during my first year after graduation that I might have been taught by poseurs pretending to be professors rather than by real ones."

Word History: Today's Good Word is French poseur unadorned or modified. It is based on the verb poser "to pose, position something". This sense led to the sense of being in a composed, unnatural position (as 'to pose for a picture'), which led to the sense of pretending to be something that we aren't. The French verb poser is the descendant of Late Latin pausare "to stop, rest", created from pausa "pause", another word English borrowed. But then Latin borrowed it from Greek pausis, so the former has no basis for complaint. (It is time for us to pause to thank the real David Ross for suggesting today's Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Poseur

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:20 pm

as when a liar,cheat, and thief run for president.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

bnjtokyo

Postby bnjtokyo » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:44 pm

Are you referring to three different people ("A minister, a rabbi and a priest walk into a bar . . . .") or one individual who embodies all these traits?

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:51 pm

Would it were three. Waaay more than that. Abysmal.
pl

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:14 pm

I am of the opinion that the choices "given" us for office holders has been going down hill at a precipitous rate in an attempt to force us all to give up our franchise.

I refuse to do so.

Now I just have to figure out how to hang onto it while voting against all options.

(sigh)
Everything works out, one way or another

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:04 pm

By the time the primary process, which is broken, hits
this state, there will be no more choice. It will already
be decided. I agree damoge, we are losing our franchise
with the broken primary/caucus and electoral college
farces.

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:05 am

BREWSTER FOR PRESIDENT 2016
#none of the above

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:55 am

which Brewster? As in Doonesbury?

Ahhh, no. That would have been the old President of Yale. Surely you don't mean him??

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:35 am

Montgomery Brewster from the two Brewster's Millions movies. An eccentric great-uncle left him a small fortune to spend within 30 days; success would win him much more, free and clear, as long as he told no one why he was spending the money. He decided a political campaign would be good for burning through money, and his slogan was "a vote for me is a vote for None of the Above!"... :D

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:24 pm

Thanks so much! l live at the end of the earth, have no TV and do not follow movies. MUCH removed from popular 'culture'. Sounds like one I should look into

I can certainly agree with his slogan. Wonder why no one has changed his/her name to that in order to run.

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:44 pm

It's not really a recent movie -- the remake was in the 80s, starring Richard Pryor as Brewster -- but it was a fairly good picture. Strangely depressing in part, because the people who don't know why he's spending all this money think he's nuts, especially since he was down and out before winning the money -- and there's a plot afoot that I won't spoil...

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:00 pm

I had the impression it was not new, and knowing it's Richard Pryor will mean I will definitely watch it. Thanks for the information and the clarification.

Did you ever see Pryor's movie made of his performance of "community service" after he was arrested? It, too, is sad when you really look at what happened to him (self-inflicted, a lot of it) but it is also one of the funniest things I've ever sat through.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:13 am

The Good Doctor mentioned poseur professors in his comments on this Good Word. I had a plethora of pathetic poseur professors in my not-so-alma mater. When I got to grad school I found out I had been swindled.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:17 am

damoge, You live at the end of the earth. Is that anywhere close to the hinterlands? If it is, we might be neighbors.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:29 pm

Good guess, but nowhere close.
She's in God's country.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”