Squalid

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Squalid

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:59 pm

• squalid •

Pronunciation: skwah-lid • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Filthy, incredibly dirty, dilapidated, run-down. 2. Sordid, morally degenerate.

Notes: Rather than create a noun like squalidity by its own devices, English rather wisely borrowed the Latin noun accompanying this adjective, squalor. This word is far lovelier than its meaning deserves, but at least we can utter it without cringing.

In Play: Today's word basically refers to physical dilapidation: "The Elbow Room was a squalid little bar on the wrong side of the tracks where you wouldn't want your worst enemy to come for a drink." However, we shouldn't forget that it also covers moral dilapidation: "The squalor of contemporary politics discouraged even Polly Graf from running for Congress."

Word History: English borrowed squalide from Middle French, making the silent E also invisible. French inherited the word from its grandparent, Latin squalidus "rough, coated with dirt, filthy", from squales "filth". All these words come from squalus "filthy". Latin had another squalus that referred to some type of large sea fish. These two words differed only in the length of the A (Latin distinguished words with long and short vowels.) Now since we know that fish become quite squalid in a short time without refrigeration, we might wonder if the two words are related. Our curiosity is only fed by the verb from squalus (= filth), squalare which, according to Etymonline, meant "to be covered with a rough, scaly layer, be coated with dirt, be filthy". If these two forms of squalus are related, the stem of today's Good Word came from the same source as English whale.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Squalid

Postby Slava » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:37 pm

If this actually does come from the same root that ended up as whale, I'd say it's rather ironic. Whales are neither fish nor scaly.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Squalid

Postby Philip Hudson » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:18 am

I recommend squalid to a list of the ugliest words in the English Language. The Good Doctor has a list of beautiful words in the English language in which I delight. There are many ugly words in English. My Uncle JM declared nasty to be the nastiest word in English. Perhaps ugly would qualify as the ugliest word. In the hinterland we pronounce it ugg-LEEE. Of course there are no ugly girls in the hinterlands. Some are just prettier than others.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”