Lumbago

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Lumbago

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:09 pm

• lumbago •

Pronunciation: lêm-bay-go • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: Lower back pain, pain in the lumbar region of the back.

Notes: I know what happened to smallpox, polio, and lockjaw, but back in the 1950s lumbago suddenly fell out of use and I don't know why. Nearly every old person came by it at some point up until the 50s. Lumbago came with an adjective, lumbaginous ([lêm--ji-nês]).

In Play: Back in the day when, according to the stage and screen, women fainted at the drop of a hat, all men came down with lumbago as they grew older. Nowadays, we just call it 'lower back pain': "MacMillan's gallstones, gout, and lumbago keep him in bed most of the day reading whatever comes to hand."

Word History: Today's Good Word was snitched from the French language, which inherited it from Late Latin lumbago "weakness of loins and lower back". This word was derived from Classical Latin lumbus "hip, loin" (usually plural), from Proto-Italic londwo- "loins", from Proto-Indo-European lendh-/londh- "loin", source also of Sanskrit randhra- "loin (of animals)", Old English lendenu "loins", German Lende "loin", and Dutch lende "loin". Modern English loin was borrowed from Old French loigne "hip, haunch, lumbar region", the French redesign of Latin lumbus.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Lumbago

Postby Slava » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:09 am

Here's my theory on why lumbago is no longer the word: with greater specialization in medicine, there's a doctor for every kind of lower back pain, so there isn't a need for a general word anymore.

I was hoping to come up with some kind of a pun tying lumbago, lumber, and timber together, but have to admit I'm stumped.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”