Whodunit

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Whodunit

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:53 pm

• whodunit •

Pronunciation: hu-dên-it • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: A detective mystery in which no one knows who committed the crime until the very end.

Notes: Here is a nonce word gone legitimate. It is a word whose spelling captures the ungrammatical pronunciation of colloquial English. You may want to try whodunitry "characteristics of a whodunit"; several British publications have. You may also double the N (whodunnit) if you please.

In Play: Whodunits usually involve murder: "Rhoda Book penned several whodunits because her sister Rita loves to read them." However, it may be used figuratively: "The search for the cause and cure of the corona virus has all the major characteristics of a whodunit."

Word History: According to Merriam-Webster, in 1930 Donald Gordon, a book reviewer for News of Books, wrote that a detective novel, Milward Kennedy's Half-Mast Murder, was "a satisfactory whodunit". Unfortunately, no copy of the review has survived so we have no details of it, not even an exact publication date. Other writers who picked it up tried more reasonable spellings—who-done-it and whodidit stand out, but none of these caught on, probably because they were not as amusing as the original. Multiple predictions that it would never be accepted by editors were made, but those prophesies have proven to be decidedly wrong. Other writers claimed first use at later dates but, again, backed up with no confirmed evidence. (Let's all now applaud Suzanne Russell whose quick eye spotted today's surprising Good Word and who recommended it.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Whodunit

Postby Slava » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:47 am

Has anyone out there read, or seen, the book?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:35 pm

not I
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

bnjtokyo
Lexiterian

Postby bnjtokyo » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:20 pm

Nor I, but it is available as an e-book from Amazon. Here's a link to the Goodreads page on the book (looks like there was once a Penguin edition).
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/176 ... ast-murder

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:13 pm

Well, I have now read it and can say it's decent. My brother found me a copy, which turns out to be a first edition, with dust jacket. :D As it's from 1930, some of the language is odd, especially the references to more contemporary things, but all in all it is a nice read, worth checking out.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:52 am

Slava, example(s) of "odd language" please?
Everything works out, one way or another

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:19 am

My favorite: "They discussed three of old dark sherry... ." That's what led me to put up discuss as a Word of the Day suggestion.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:05 pm

Here in the hinterlands we who are literate or semi-so have always used whodunits in discussing Mystery Novels. I have a collection of several hundred mystery novels and my shelves runneth over. Yep, I have read them all at least once. The ordinary redneck has been saying "Whodunit?" for "Who did it?" time out of mind.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”