Obloquy

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Obloquy

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:21 pm

• obloquy •

Pronunciation: ahb-lê-kwi • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass

Meaning: 1. Vilification, verbal abuse, calumny, slander. 2. The state of disgrace brought on by vilification.

Notes: Today's word refers to verbal abuse brought on by disgraceful behavior. It comes with two adjectives, obloquial [ahb-lo-kwi-êl] and obloquious [ahb-lo-kwi-ês], as 'a host of an obloquious talkshow'.

In Play: The targets of obloquy are usually guilty of some despicable act or acts: "ISIL fights on, ignoring the obloquy heaped on it by the Western world." Generally, obloquy is deserved, but that does not determine its applicability: "The US presidential campaign so far has been absent the kind of divisive personal obloquy of previous campaigns."

Word History: Today's Good Word is the English adaptation of the Latin noun obloquium "abusive contradiction", the noun from the verb obloqui "to interrupt". This verb comprises the prefix ob "against" + loqui "to speak", whose root we see in many borrowings from Latin, such as loquacious, colloquium, and eloquent. No one knows where the root of loqui [lokwi-] comes from. Russian has an old verb tolkovat' "talk, interpret" related to English talk. The L and K in that word might relate it to loqui, but the loss of the initial T cannot be explained. (Let me now thank Lew Jury for suggesting today's Good Word, before I become the target of obloquy.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Obloquy

Postby Slava » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:24 am

When delivering an obloquious speech, do you agree that, most commonly used, one is heaping obloquy?

Once the speech has been given, and if it sticks, does the person then live in obloquy?

Have you ever noticed that sometimes when you write a word several times, it starts to look misspelled? I have to check myself each time I type in obloquy right now. :?

That is, do the action of typing, not that I am typing in obloquy. :D
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”