Progenitor

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Progenitor

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:27 pm

• progenitor •

Pronunciation: pro-jen-ê-têr • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. The originator or original ancestor of a line of descent, a direct ancestor. 2. The founder of a family. 3. The originator of anything, a founder, as 'the progenitor of a philosophical school'.

Notes: A progenitor produces progeny, the descendants of a single ancestor or pair thereof. Back when English was allowed to distinguish between males and females, a female progenitor was known as a progenitrix (plural progenitrices). The state or stature of being a progenitor is progenitorship and the adjective for this noun is progenitorial.

In Play: The white families who claimed President Thomas Jefferson as their progenitor several years ago were confronted by black families who claimed (with reason) to be the progeny of the same man. Jefferson was certainly one of the progenitors of our system of government. While only Christians, Jews, and Muslims hold Adam and Eve to be the progenitors of all humankind, it is certainly true that we are all progeny of one couple at some point way back in prehistorical time.

Word History: Today's Good Word is simply Latin progenitor, the noun of progignere "to beget". This word is based on pro- "forward" + gignere "to bear, give birth to, create," containing the same gen- that we see in generate, generation, gender, and genus. It appears without the vowel all but hidden in pregnant, from the Latin word meaning "before giving birth". In English this root became kin, also seen in kindred from Old English cyn "race, family, kin" and king, from a time when ruling had genetic connotations. Kind originally meant pretty much the same thing as Latin genus, so it should come as no surprise that they both derived from the same Proto-Indo-European word.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Progenitor

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:38 pm

I belong to a genealogy computer site named GENI. If you can find a progenitor who was a king of Scotland, you can prove kinship with all the crowned heads of Europe. Those Scottish kings had lots of children born on the wrong side of the blanket and they claimed them as their own. GENI has even linked me to a progenitor who lived three thousand years ago and was king of a kingdom that no historian can identify. Someone once sent me a genealogy that proved Adam and Eve were my progenitors. While I believe in Adam and Eve and believe they are our progenitors, I have serious doubts about the proffered genealogy. I have often wondered about the Land of Nod where Cain met his wife. Perry, tell me whose progenitor was Cain's wife.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”