Bravo

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Bravo

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:05 pm

• bravo •

Pronunciation: brah-vo or brah-vo Hear it!

Part of Speech: Interjection, Noun

Meaning: 1. (Interjection) Capital! Excellent! Well done! Spoken or shouted to indicate an outstanding performance. 2. (Noun) The act of saying or shouting, "Bravo!"

Notes: Since this word is an interjection, it has no derivational relatives. When a mere bravo! does not suffice, we may use the Italian superlative: bravissimo!. If the performance is by a woman alone, some of my friends like to use the Italian feminine form of this word: brava; I've never heard the plural, bravi, for more than one performer. Bravo is also used in telecommunications to clarify the letter "B" when spelling words.

In Play: This word is most often heard in concert halls and theaters, but we also use it outside these venues: "I say, 'Bravo!' to Noah Zarque just for showing up at the gym every day." The same applies for its service as a noun: "All the bravos for doing her job have sent Sue Persillius up into the clouds, where she is unapproachable."

Word History: Today's Good Word is the Italian bravo "brave, bold", which originally meant "wild, savage", a sense it retains in Portuguese and Spanish. It is a word of uncertain origin. English borrowed the French version, brave, with its sense of "courageous". The most obvious derivation puts it from Medieval Latin bravus "cutthroat, villain", a reduction of classical Latin pravus "crooked, depraved". A less likely etymology would have it from an unattested Vulgar (Street) Latin word brabus, a reduction of Clasical Latin barbarus "barbarous", a word Latin borrowed from Greek. All of these theories are just speculative. (Bravo! to David Myer for recommending today's Good Word some time ago.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Re: Bravo

Postby George Kovac » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:54 am

Penelope Wilton’s indefatigable character Isobel Crawley never failed to demonstrate that she had better breeding than the condescending and haughty branch of the family that lived upstairs in Downton Abbey. After a local recital, Isobel applauds the female performer with cheers of “brava!”
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

jerrythebeeguy
Junior Lexiterian

Postby jerrythebeeguy » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:42 am

"Bravo" apparently has yet another meaning in South America; I often heard a baby described as bravo (que bravo!) when crying loudly and with great energy in public, and I took it to mean "how angry".

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:47 pm

Welcome bee guy. You must have joined when I was not
receiving mails.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”