Adjacent

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Adjacent

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:18 pm

• adjacent •

Pronunciation: ê-jay-sênt • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Adjoining, next to and touching, contiguous, sharing a boundary. 2. Close by, lying near, nearby. 3. (Mathematics) Sharing a vertex and one side (two angles).

Notes: This word may be used as a noun with a fourth meaning: "Anything related, an adjunct or subsidiary", as "The adjacents of peace are worth fighting for." Otherwise, the noun is adjacency and the adverb, adjacently, as, "The river flowed adjacently by the church grounds."

In Play: In the first sense, "contiguous", we might hear things like this: "Rodney kept buying properties adjacent to his until he pretty much owned the whole town." The second sense is around in expressions like this: "In school, Rodney always located himself adjacent to the smartest student in the class."

Word History: English simply traced today's Good Word from the French word in one of its centuries-long raids on that language. French inherited the word from Latin adiacen(t)s "bordering on, lying near", the present participle of adiacere "to border on, adjoin, lie near". The Latin I was pronounced [y] before vowels (in Late Latin it became J). This word comprises ad "(up) to" + iacere "to throw, do, make", inherited from PIE iek-/iok- "to throw, do, make", source also of Hittite ijami "I make", and Greek iemi "to throw, send" and iapto "I shoot, send, rush". Apparently, the PIE word didn't make it past the ancient languages, except for the derivations of Latin iacere that we see in the English Latinate borrowings, like abject, reject, inject, etc. (Now let's thank Great-Grand panjandrum Jeremy Busch, editor of the GWs and volunteer manager of the Agora for today's fundamental Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

tkowal
Lexiterian

Re: Adjacent

Postby tkowal » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:06 am

The Latin verb iacere still survives in Romance languages: Spanish yacer and Portuguese jazer, meaning "to lie", "to rest", "to be buried".

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Postby George Kovac » Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:11 pm

There is a voguish new use of “adjacent” as a post positive adjective meaning “similar” or “not quite” or “imitative.” The usage is often a mix of the ironic and the descriptive as in this example I made up: “Though professing to be deeply athletic, she did nothing more strenuous than exercise-adjacent activities like chair yoga.” I read a recent New Yorker profile of the octogenarian Paul McCartney in which the writer described Sir Paul’s current shaggy but shortish hair as “Beatle-adjacent.”
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

Audiendus
Wordmaster

Postby Audiendus » Fri Jun 30, 2023 8:58 pm

Actually there are two different Latin verbs iacere, one (with a short first E) meaning 'to throw', and the other (with a long first E) meaning 'to lie (in a position)'. Wiktionary suggests that the two verbs are related, in that 'lie' has the idea of 'be thrown down'.

tkowal
Lexiterian

Postby tkowal » Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:32 am

Actually there are two different Latin verbs iacere, one (with a short first E) meaning 'to throw', ...
As a matter of fact, the words jet and jetty are derived from this form of the verb via French jeter. See https://www.alphadictionary.com/goodword/word/jetty.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:56 pm

Why are some people being thrown free, helpful ropes, whereas I get nothing, simply because I am not quicksand-adjacent?
From Alexandra Petri at the WaPo.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”