Epiphyte

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Epiphyte

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:07 pm

• epiphyte •

Pronunciation: ep-ê-fait • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: A plant or fungus that grows on other plants but is not parasitic; it derives all its nutrients from air and rain, such as Spanish moss.

Notes: This word is a captive of botany, perhaps rightly so. Epiphytes are sometimes called aerophytes "air plants". We have three adjectives to choose from: epiphytic, epiphytous, and epiphytal. There are no more blood relatives, but there are a passel of relatives by marriage, including lithophyte "plant that grow on stones", geophyte "bulb and tuber plant", hydrophyte "plant that grows in water."

In Play: Mistletoe is a parasite, not an epiphyte: "The trunks of the trees in her new subtropical back yard were covered with epiphytes, bromeliads, and orchids that lent them a furry bear quality." According to Wikipedia, "Banyan trees are an example of a strangler fig that begins life as an epiphyte in the crown of another tree."

Word History: Greek lent us today's Good Word from its epiphytos, made up of epi "(up)on" + fyton "plant". Greek inherited epi from PIE epi/opi "near, at, by", also behind Sanskrit api "also, too", Latin ob "before, in front of", Russian ob "around, about", Albanian epërm "upper, superior", Lithuanian apie "about", and Latvian apkart "about". Greek created phyton from PIE bheu- "to be; to grow", source also of Sanskrit bhavati "is, there is, becomes", Latin fui "I have been", Lithuanian būti "to be", Latvian būt "to be", Russian byt' "to be" and budu "I will (be)", Serbian biti "to be", English be and been, Irish beith "being, entity", Welsh bod "being, existence", (Now another double 'thank you' to Luciano Eduardo de Oliveira, long-time editor of this series and prolific contributor of Good Words like today's.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Re: Epiphyte

Postby George Kovac » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:23 pm

I have two large banyans next to my house here in subtropical Miami. The nooks and crannies are attractive homes for orchids, bromeliads, staghorn ferns and other epiphytes. These examples and their banyan hosts have lived happily together for many years.
Attachments
IMG_7968.jpeg
IMG_7968.jpeg (241.62 KiB) Viewed 13700 times
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Postby George Kovac » Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:47 pm

Orchids and bromeliads
Attachments
Orchids and bromeliads .jpg
Orchids and bromeliads .jpg (96.58 KiB) Viewed 13696 times
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Postby George Kovac » Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:10 pm

OK, one more southern epiphyte story. Resurrection ferns prefer to live on the shagbark surface of live oaks. They spend almost all of their days dried, brown, shriveled and desiccated. They look ugly and dead. But when a drenching rain occurs, as in the fluke 9 inches of rain we got two days ago here in Coconut Grove (no worries, it drains quickly into Biscayne Bay), the ferns spring to luxurious verdancy. After three or four days of sunshine, the ferns disappear again.
Here is a photo of the gnarly limbs of one of my oaks feathered with resurrection ferns.
Attachments
Resurrection ferns.jpg
Resurrection ferns.jpg (180.68 KiB) Viewed 13669 times

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:16 pm

I left ferns off my list because I couldn't think of ferns growing off a tree. Thanks for the photo.

I also didn't know banyans were figs, producing fig-like fruit that, according to one source, people like to eat.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:06 pm

George, I never knew!
Thanks for the beautiful images.
What a place to live!
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Postby bbeeton » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:35 pm

I've never seen resurrection ferns on a banyan, but they sure do love live oaks, My favorite place to watch them is on Little St Simons Island, Georgia. Also the home for lots of Spanish moss and the delightful green fly orchid.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”