Crwth

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Crwth

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:37 pm

• crwth •

Pronunciation: kruth • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: The Welsh lyre, a stringed instrument comprising an oblong wooden frame with six strings across a bridge. Four strings are played with a bow while the other two are picked as a kind of bass drone.

Notes: The crwth is related closely to the zither, psaltery and dulcimer. It's a cousin to the harp. In some versions of musical history, the crwth is the forerunner of the violin. The word is a lexical orphan, probably because it is a Welsh word used marginally in English. The English word for the crwth is crowd. It turns up in English surnames as Crowder and Crowther, both of which originally meant "fiddler" on the crwth.

In Play: The crwth fell out of favor after the Middle Ages. However, you might spot one here and there: "Abelard earned $60 with his homemade crwth at the Renaissance Music Festival." Crwth is also the name of the Arts Council of Wales: "When Katrin Crowther was an archivist at Crwth, she absconded with a considerable amount of rare sheet music."

Word History: Today's Good Word is Welsh crwth "bulge". Many take today's word as the only word in English with no vowels; however, this is a Welsh word and in Welsh (Cymraeg) W acts as the vowel U between consonants—its name is, after all, "double u". The name of this letter goes back to the days when U was written V. The noisy Proto-Indo-European root of today's word is ger- "to cry hoarsely". It produced in English crow (both the bird and the boast), croon, and cur. The last word is the Middle English word for "mutt", akin to Old Norse kurra "to growl". (We sing the praises of George Crawford of Knoxville, Tennessee, for bringing us today's word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Crwth

Postby Slava » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:18 pm

I didn't go for a deep dive, but I did take a gander at a couple of videos out there in the internot. I don't understand the purpose of the 2 spare strings, as I never saw the players touch them in any way. Do they just sit there and resonate from the bowing of the other strings? or didn't I look hard enough?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

bnjtokyo
Lexiterian

Postby bnjtokyo » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:34 pm

I quote from the definition above
". . . the other two are picked as a kind of bass drone."
which implies these strings mostly sit there vibrating in resonance with the instrument as a whole.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Jan 06, 2024 6:46 pm

Well, that's what throws me. "Picked" implies, at least to me, that someone does something to them, picking being the main idea, but plucking being a possibility.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

bnjtokyo
Lexiterian

Postby bnjtokyo » Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:23 pm

I agree the sentence is unclear. Perhaps
". . . the other two are a kind of bass drone that are also occasionally picked."
Perhaps if you watch enough YouTube videos you will catch someone doing it.

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Postby bbeeton » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:09 pm

The instruments in the viols family are usually bowed, but occasionally strings are plucked; this occurs most often on a string bass in popular music. (I've never heard "picked" in this context. I associate "picking" with a banjo or dulcimer.)

Drone strings (also called "diapasons") are also present on the theorbo, a long-necked lute. Most of the strings are above the fingerboard, and can be depressed to change the notes played, but some of the strings are not above the fingerboard, and these are the drones. The musical tone that is emitted is tuned by tension. Usually, the sound from the drones is caused by stimulated vibration, but occasionally one or more of these strings is plucked.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:27 pm

Fascinating. I too have had a look at a few videos and found this one https://www.google.com/search?q=thecrwt ... A6ycw,st:0

The performer is clearly picking or plucking (I don't really know the difference) one of the two 'spare' strings at least. She uses her thumb. Around 50 seconds into the video.

She has obviously spent many years mastering the instrument and I have to ask, was it worth the effort? The effect is a terrible dirge - appropriately Celtic in sound and no doubt useful for mournful laments, but not big for entertainment (IMHO). I am not surprised to hear that the instrument has fallen into disuse generally. Still, I imagine that the word is legal in Scrabble and no doubt very useful from time to time. If only I could remember it...

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:26 am

I can't get your like to stick, David. Here are two, the first for visuals and the second for listening.

https://www.google.com/search?q=crwth&s ... Timd_4rmmM

I couldn't find one on Youtube in which the performer was picking or plucking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svci-AA6ycw
• The Good Dr. Goodword

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:19 pm

Not sure on the problem with my link, but your second link goes to the same URL. Between about 45 seconds in and 55, she is clearly strumming or picking or whatever, with her thumb on the two un-bridged strings. Hope others can enjoy the link too.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”