Jitterbug

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Jitterbug

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:17 pm

• jitterbug •

Pronunciation: ji-dêr-bêg • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. A fast, jerking dance done to 'hot' jazz in the 40s. 2. Someone who jitterbugs or who is high-strung, hyperactive.

Notes: Today's Good Word comes from the swing era of jazz and is widely believed to have originated with Cab Calloway, leader of one of the most famous swing bands. The noun is also used as a usual English verb; just remember to double the G when adding suffixes that begin with a vowel: jitterbugs, jitterbugged, jitterbugging.

In Play: Jitterbug is a word that never escaped the 40s—though in some US cities it is making a bit of a comeback. As dance crazes come and go, their names come and go with them. We rarely get a chance to use this word today in situations like this: "My grandma and grandpa can jitterbug circles around you and your hip-hop dancing friends." Back in the 40s and early 50s, however, we talked like this all the time: "We jitterbugged at the party last night until we dropped."

Word History: A jitterbug was someone with the 'jitters', who dances nervously or feverishly. We can only speculate as to the origins of jitter. It probably is a variant of an older word chitter, which referred to shivering or chattering teeth. Chitter may have been derived from chatter under the influence of shiver. Shiver was originally spelled and pronounced chiver, so the two may have been blended thus: chi(ver/cha)tter. The change of chitter to jitter is easy. The sounds [ch] and [j] are identical, except that in pronouncing [j] we vibrate our vocal cords. Jitter could then have been a very slight variation of chitter. It originally referred to rapidly vibrating teeth or shivering, but its meaning expanded to anything shaking rapidly.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Jitterbug

Postby Slava » Fri Jun 23, 2023 5:49 pm

There was also a scene from The Wizard of Oz called 'The Jitterbug'. It was cut from the main movie, but is included in the extras on the DVD I have. There are lots of versions out there, so if you're interested, you can browse for a while.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Postby bbeeton » Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:42 pm

Hmm. If there was a song in "The Wizard of Oz", that was released in 1939, so "jitterbug" is earlier than the 1940s (although the dance was certainly unavoidable in the 1940s).

Regarding the origin of the term, the Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jitterbug/ contains this information:
The first quote containing the term “jitter bug” recorded by the OED is from the 1934 Cab Calloway song “Jitter Bug”.
I never mastered the jitterbug. My style was more international folk dancing, ranging from hora to hambo to hopak. Ah, those were the days.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:38 am

Well Barbara, I have investigated the dances of your youth - Romanian, Swedish and Russian. Were you part of any of those communities growing up? I have watched a couple of Youtube clips and I must say that the Hopak is the only one that really looks like fun. I'd love to see you do it...

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Postby bbeeton » Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:56 pm

Well, David, Indeed they were all fun. I was a member of an exhibition troupe that, among other venues, danced at the New York World's Fair (in 1964). My own family was originally German, but other members of the troupe were genuinely Hungarian, Greek and Iraqi, as well as of many other extractions. The hopak was more fun for men than women, of course. And I can think of few things more wild than dancing Hava Nagila to the playing of an inexhaustible Armenian band (the hora is kind of generic, spreading all across the Balkans, and a tendril in Israel). As for the hambo, the woman has to hope that, when she's flung into the air, her partner keeps a tight hold.

Afterthought: Hopak can't possibly be Russian -- there isn't any "h" in Russian; it would have been "gopak". (My paternal grandfather's brother moved east when my grandfather moved west; he changed the spelling of his name to the Russian equivalent -- Neuhaus to Neigaus.)

Add to that other favorites, like Tinikling (Philippine, and you need the requisite bamboo poles), the czardas, tango, Zillertaler Laendler (another where the woman is lifted overhead), and many others. We could put on quite a show.

Sadly, I'm no longer danceworthy, after mishaps have done in my back and given me a nice titanium hip. But I still love the music.

tkowal
Lexiterian

Postby tkowal » Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:22 am

Afterthought: Hopak can't possibly be Russian -- there isn't any "h" in Russian; it would have been "gopak".
According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hopak), hopak is a Ukrainian folk dance, and its name is spelled "гопак". Unlike in Russian, the Cyrillic letter "Г" is pronounced in Ukrainian as H. This change from the sound of "G" to "H" is quite common among Slavic languages.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”