Enemy

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Enemy

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:15 pm

• enemy •

Pronunciation: en-ê-mee • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1, One or more hostile, unfriendly things or people, one or more things or people that want to harm you. 2. An opponent, rival, adversary, foe, someone who takes a position opposite yours.

Notes: Here is a noun that has been blended with its antonym, friend, to create frenemy "a rival who pretends to be a friend". The adjective for enemy is inimical, taken directly from Latin. It comes with an adverb inimically and two nouns, inimicality and inimicalness.

In Play: Enemies can be concrete beings: "They were friends in high school, but when Melanie married Marigold's boyfriend, they became enemies for life." They can also be abstractions: "In American politics ignorance is the enemy and cold, hard facts are the weapons."

Word History: Today's Good Word was captured from Old French enemi, which is today ennemi "adversary, foe". Old French legitimately inherited its word from Latin inimicus "enemy" (whence English inimical), literally "an unfriend", comprising in- "not, un-" + the combining form of amicus "friend", a word based on amare "to love". The prefix in- originates in PIE ne- "not", found unvarnished in Czech, Polish, Russian and Serbian ne "not" and German nein "no". It appears modified in English and German un-. Where amare came from is an open question. Some think it comes from PIE ama- "to take, hold" by way of "to hold hands", source also of Sanskrit amisi "take hold of, swear", and Greek omnymi "to swear". Others think it comes from ama- "mother", source also of Sanskrit amba "mother", ancient Greek ammia "mother, nurse", Albanian amë "aunt", Icelandic amma "grandmother", and German Amme "wetnurse". (Now a bow to Devashni Vedanta of South Africa for spotting the interest in today's common though remarkable Good Word and sharing it.)

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Enemy

Postby Slava » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:15 am

A frenemy can also be, at least to my understanding, a rival who puts aside animosity toward you in order to work against another, mutually inimical person or movement.

As to American politics, I'd say that it is ignorance that is being weaponized, with facts being ignored or denied.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Re: Enemy

Postby Debbymoge » Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:03 pm

What is the "om..." or "omn..." in omnymi?

Again, my thanks in advance...

Debby
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

Return to “Good Word Discussion”