Abrogate

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Abrogate

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:20 pm

• abrogate •

Pronunciation: æb-rê-gayt • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb, transitive

Meaning: 1. To repeal, annul, cancel, or abolish something, such as a law. 2. To obviate, do away with, put an end to.

Notes: This word has a large and happy family. The person who abrogates is an abrogator who carries out the act of abrogation. Such an act is abrogative and any law that may be abrogated is abrogable. (Don't forget to drop the suffix -ate.) The adjectives, in their turn, have adverbs (abrogatively and abrogably), and nouns (abrogativeness and abrogability). Have fun.

In Play: Today's good verb applies to any type of regulation from an international law to a household rule: "The boss abrogated the company policy limiting visits to the water cooler to three per day when he found a dead chicken on his desk." The new meaning ("put an end to") originated in medicine, but now we can all use it: "Melanie found that a pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream quickly abrogated all the tension that builds up in her during the workday."

Word History: Today's lexical darling came to English from Latin abrogatus, the past participle of abrogare "to repeal or annul", which is made up of ab "away" + the same rogare "to ask" that we see (and hear) in interrogate. In the Proto-Indo-European language, words containing [o] always had a variant containing [e], so the root, rog-, is the same as the reg- we see in regular and regal. It had to do with rule and, in fact, rule itself is an Old French reduction (riule) of Latin regula "rule, ruler". (We would like to thank Susan Lister who, as a rule, sends us very Good Words like this one.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Re: Abrogate

Postby Debbymoge » Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:32 pm

Would that she abrogate her pint addiction in favor of a small cup, or better yet just a teaspoon or two instead.
good grief.
(hmmm that phrase never registered quite the same way before... strange combination?
and while I'm here, the link on the front page to other such phrases I think, didn't get me there, any help with that?)
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Feb 18, 2024 1:28 pm

Of what link speaketh thou?

Abrogative threw me at first. I tried to pronounce it along the lines of interrogative, which comes out quite strangely. AbrOgative? Erp!
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:52 pm

Slava, I didn't get to see it, and it was gone when I looked for it again (the link) but I think it was internally contradictory phrases.
My short term memory is shot and the search for words, especially names, is full of holes. What is the word for phrases like "military intelligence", or in this case, "good grief"..... ?
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:56 pm

OH MY!!!!
Dear Doctor and Slava!
I just went back to today's front page, and there was the link that I was looking for and this time clicking on it worked!!!

oh my oh my ohmy!
What fun this will be.
Shakespear

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:58 pm

What is the word for phrases like "military intelligence", or in this case, "good grief"..... ?

That'll be oxymoron.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:05 pm

thank you thank you thank you

no moron there, oxy or otherwise, but rapidly heading that way here.
Shakespear

Return to “Good Word Discussion”