GLOAMING

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

GLOAMING

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:38 pm

• gloaming •

Pronunciation: glowm-ing • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. Evening, dusk, twilight. 2. Shade, shadows, dusky light.

Notes: US dictionaries sometimes suggest that today's Good Word is passé, archaic. The Oxford English Dictionary makes no such claim and even offers a prosaic 20th century example of "gloaming sights" for rifles, sights designed to be used in low light. It is a lovely word, much smoother than dusk and a worthy competitor for twilight. The Word History will show that it was never a participle of the expected verb to gloam, so it has no derivational mother. It was curiously and unexpectedly created from the older noun gloam, which also meant "twilight".

In Play: This lovely word is more a poetic tribute to twilight than just another word for it: "It was her favorite time of a summer day, gloaming, when constellations of fireflies slowly rose from the grass, trying with all their hearts and little bottoms to lure back the light of day." Moreover, unlike its synonyms in the Meaning above, it may be used more widely in reference to low light of any kind: "In the gloaming of the candlelit room, Nick Knack accidentally kissed the back of someone else's wife."

Word History: Old English glomung was probably derived from glom "twilight" by analogy with evening, which was created by the addition of the suffix -ing to even "evening". Glom apparently shares an origin with gloom and glum, which started their lives referring to darkness or overcast. If we push this word back beyond the Germanic languages, it seems to come from an old root ghel-/ghol- with an O and L that loved to trade places by metathesis, producing ghle-/ghlo-. This explains how it might also turn up in English as glow. In fact gloaming is a gloomy time when the evening air is still just a bit aglow. Depending on whether we focus on the light or the darkness, the original meaning might very well meander off to either gloom or glow. (We hope this will not be the gloaming of such very Good Word suggestions from Donald C Schark, but just the dawning of them.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:01 pm

Hmm. If the root glom means "twilight," then from where do we get the term glom (onto) meaning "to appropriate" or "incorporate"? I know it must be the same as the root of conglomerate...

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:32 pm

According to the Word History, gloaming comes from Old English and Germanic. I don't have my Latin dictionary at hand and I'm in too much of a hurry at the moment to go look it up online, but the "con" in "conglomerate" looks like the Latin "cum/con" meaning "with," so I'd suspect that "comglomerate" has a Latin origin, meaning the two different words have two different origins.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:40 pm

Hmm. If the root glom means "twilight," then from where do we get the term glom (onto) meaning "to appropriate" or "incorporate"? I know it must be the same as the root of conglomerate...
Sorry, misterdoe, but they're unrelated. Dictionary.com tells us:

Glom: Origin: 1895–1900, Americanism; cf. Scots glaum, glam to snatch at, glammis jaws of a vise, appar. < ScotGael glàm to grab, clutch, influenced by clam 2

Conglomerate: Origin: 1565–75; < L conglomerātus (ptp. of conglomerāre), equiv. to con- con- + glomer- (s. of glomus) ball of yarn + -ātus -ate 1

Some conglomerations are about as convoluted as a ball of yarn, too. Especially the criminal ones.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:09 pm

And the picture that comes to mind is that huge
ball of rubber bands somewhere in Kansas, I believe.
Convoluted conglomeration of some form.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Audiendus
Wordmaster

Postby Audiendus » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:31 pm

Low light: gloaming, gloom, glimmer.
High light: gleaming, gleam, glamour.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:47 pm

Extreme light: glare.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----