TAD

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

TAD

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:30 am

• tad •

Pronunciation: tæd • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. A lad or small boy. 2. A small amount, a little, sort of.

Notes: The heyday of today's Good Word was the 1950s but it is still around. When referring to small boys, it may be pluralized (tads) but in the sense of "a little" it is usually treated like a quantifier that is the antonym of a lot.

In Play: This word has been used to refer to small boys as recently as 1983, indicating that this meaning remains current: "We were surprised to see little tads already picking on little girls at the playground." However, it is used far more frequently as the antonym of a lot: "Well, yes, I would say that melting cheese in your coffee is a tad eccentric."

Word History: The best guess is that today's Good Word was shortened from tadpole in the latter half of the 19th century and used to refer to small boys. From there it slipped into the abstract modifier it is today in the US in the 1940s, reaching the height of its popularity in the 1950s. So, I hear you asking, where did tadpole come from? Tad is dialectal variant of toad, missing its O. Pole is a variant of a dialectal word, poll "human or animal head", borrowed from Dutch polle. It is now usually spelled and pronounced pow without the L in those parts of Scotland where it is still used. (Today we offer more than a tad of thanks Larry Brady, the Stargazer of our Agora, from whose head sprang today's Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:26 am

I suppose calling a child a tad of a lad would be rather redundant then, eh?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:15 pm

Considering the date of the original post, you were a tad late in responding, weren't you lad?
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:18 pm

Considering the date of the original post, you were a tad late in responding, weren't you lad?
Just working my way through the unanswered posts, as is my wont.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”