Wimp

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Wimp

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:09 pm

• wimp •

Pronunciation: wimp • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, Verb

Meaning: (Humorous slang) 1. [Noun] A weak, indecisive, and ineffectual person; a coward. 2. [Verb] To act cowardly, to 'chicken' (out), to get cold feet.

Notes: Although this Good Word has been around since the 1920s, it gained great popularity in the 1960s and 1970s. Though originally a noun, it may be used as a verb, as in 'to try to play the champion but wimp out at the last minute'. The adjective is wimpy, used with comparatives wimpier and wimpiest. There is no evidence of a connection with hamburger connoisseur J. Wellington Wimpy of the Popeye cartoon strip. That Wimpy has 24 university degrees and is intellectually too sophisticated.

In Play: Today's Good Word is a less offensive way to call someone a coward by using a humorous, slangy term: "Porter Bella is too much of a wimp to try real Mexican food; invite him over when we are having tunafish sandwiches." The verb is almost always used with the preposition out: "Les Waite promised to swim with the Polar Bears in their pool cut in the river ice, but he wimped out."

Word History: The verb whimp has been in English since at least the 15th century alongside its synonym, whimper. In fact, the latter may be a blend of whimp and simper, used dialectally in the same sense. The best guess is that today's Good Word is a variation of this word. It first began appearing in published form in the 1920s. In England it was a derogatory word for woman, and in the US the meaning was similar, given the prejudices against strength and decisiveness in women, though it is more often a slur directed at men
• The Good Dr. Goodword

bnjtokyo
Lexiterian

Re: Wimp

Postby bnjtokyo » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:26 pm

Not mentioned here, WIMP is an acronym for Weakly Interacting Massive Particle(s), a hypothetical subatomic particle theorized to be a component of dark matter and to compose some 22% of the mass in the universe.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:19 pm

I could never get used to the Wimpy Burger when I worked in England.
i didn't try one.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:16 am

BNJ,
WOW! thank you!!

and Philip, wise choice. I wasn't as smart. JUST AWFUL!

Debby
Everything works out, one way or another

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:19 am

How interesting to hear that a Wimpy burger is still awful.

Wimpy was the first fast food company in Britain. I would guess they started in about 1960, perhaps a little earlier. The food, and particularly the burgers were close to inedible. The astonishing thing was that the business got off the ground despite that. Perhaps the concept was such a refreshing change from the terrible stodgy food served in cheaper cafes and restaurants at that time.

I left UK in 1973 so it is interesting that the Wimpy food is still terrible. How on earth does it still exist, now it has competition from the world chains like McDonalds and Kentucky Fried - not that they are paragons of quality?

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:07 pm

We have a local hamburger joint that puts out some marvelous food.
I don't eat beef but their chicken sandwich is as good as I could want.

call_copse
Senior Lexiterian

Postby call_copse » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:11 am

I can only assume that Wimpy survive by being cheapish and quickish and located where those properties bring some grudging footfall.
Iain

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:38 pm

Check Wikipedia for the history and present state of Wimpy's.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:10 pm

Good suggestion Phillip. An extraordinary story, completely lacking reference to the quality of the product. I did like that it lost ground in Israel to a rival called MacDavid's. Further investigation shows that MacDonald's sued MacDavid's over the name and that the outcome was that MacDavid's stopped calling its burgers Big Macs. In the end MacDonald's effectively beat MacDavid's in the market place. They have one store left which is one more than Wimpy in Israel. What fun.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”